What to Expect At Your First Facial
Are you struggling with dry, winter skin? Winter has the tendency to bring out the worst in our skin, leaving us feeling dry, itchy, and drab. This is the time of year we’re looking for a refresh, and getting your first facial is a great way to pamper your skin and regain your glow in time for spring.
If this is your first time getting a professional facial, it’s helpful to know what you should plan for at your appointment. Read on for our top tips about preparing for your facial, and learn what you can expect when you walk in the door.
- Relax—We want you to feel completely stress-free as you enjoy your facial. That’s why we have intentionally created a relaxing environment where you can leave your cares behind.
- Consult—Your esthetician will ask you about any medical information she should be aware of such as skin allergies or other conditions. This is also the time to let her know about any concerns you have such as dry skin, acne, or fine lines. As your esthetician assesses your skin, she will be looking for things like elasticity, sensitivity, dry patches, or other skin care needs.
- Cleanse—Feel free to wear makeup to your appointment. Your esthetician will remove it for you and then cleanse your skin using products tailored to your skin type.
- Exfoliate—Exfoliation buffs away dead skin cells, revealing the fresh glowing skin beneath. Depending on your individual needs, this step may involve a gel, mask, or peel, and it may also include skin stimulation. Steam treatment is also used to draw out impurities and prepare your skin for extractions.
- Extract—The goal of this step is to remove impurities plugging the pores of your skin. Your esthetician may use an extraction tool or she may apply gently pressure with her fingertips.
- Mask—Different masks accomplish different goals. For example, oily skin may need a mask to minimize oil secretions, while dry skin may need a moisturizing mask.
- Moisturize—Once the mask is removed, your esthetician will apply a moisturizer or serum designed for your skin type.
During the facial, talk to your esthetician about any questions you have as well as your skin care goals. She can make product recommendations and help you fine-tune your daily routine to keep your skin fresh and glowing all year long.