Refreshing Salon Secrets to Protect Your Skin and Hair from Summer’s Sizzling Heat
Summer is heating up, and that can wreak havoc on your skin and hair. But don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with our best tips for preventing sun damage, even if you’re spending lots of lazy afternoons by the pool.
Why You Need to Shield Your Skin and Hair from the Sun
Summer is all about soaking up the rays, right? While we love enjoying the outdoors as much as the next person, we also know that too much sun can bleach the color out of your hair or alter the color tone. Even if you don’t have color-treated hair, sun damage can leave your hair dry and lifeless.
More importantly, however, your skin needs protection from the sun to prevent painful sunburns and even skin cancer.
Secrets to Healthy Skin and Hair
Thankfully, there’s no need to stay inside all summer in order to protect yourself from the sun. By taking a few extra precautions, you can enjoy all that summer has to offer and keep your skin and hair healthy and beautiful at the same time. Here are our top tips for a safe, gorgeous summer.
- Cover Up—Wearing a hat is a simple solution, but it keeps harmful UV rays from reaching your skin and hair. Choose one that shades your face and neck, especially if you’re going to be out in the hottest part of the day (between 10:00 and 2:00).
- Use Products with UV Blockers—The most important thing you can do to prevent sun damage is to slather on sunscreen every time you go outside—even if it is overcast. That includes wearing sunscreen under makeup, so if your foundation doesn’t already include SPF protection, be sure to apply a separate sunscreen.
While you’re shopping for products that protect you from the sun, don’t forget your hair! Shield your hair from damage by choosing a conditioner or misting spray with UV protection.
- Lock in Moisture—Salt and chlorine will leave your hair feeling stiff and lifeless (crunchy pool hair, anyone?). Use a leave-in conditioner or spray to keep your hair from drying out, especially if you plan to take a dip in the pool or the ocean.
- Moisturize Your Skin, Too!—Be vigilant about applying moisturizer to your skin, especially if you’re planning a trip to the beach. Moisturizer keeps your skin soft and hydrated, which is especially important if you’ve been swimming in chlorine or salt water. Of course, we recommend a daily moisturizer in any case, since washing your face each morning and evening will dry out your skin as well.
- Banish Frizz—If your hair is prone to frizzy flyaways when you step out into the humidity of a hot July day, use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner followed by a smoothing serum or oil to nourish dry strands.
- Nix the Heat Treatments—Blasting your already stressed hair with hot air from a blow dryer and then following up with a heat iron can cause broken, dry ends. Consider air-drying instead to keep hair looking soft and natural. If you must use a blow dryer, use a heat protectant product first to promote shine and a smooth texture.
With just a few simple steps, you can keep your hair and skin healthy and glowing this summer!
And while you’re enjoying the sun and fresh air, why not celebrate with a brand new look?
Our stylists will help you choose a cut, color, and style that helps you feel fabulous whether you’re at the pool or in the office! Give us a call today to make your appointment!